Chicago Design Defects Attorneys
Significant time and effort go into product design. Not only does the design determine the aesthetic appeal of a product, but it determines the function and safety of that product. When designed correctly, a product should fulfill its intended function without posing an undue risk to the user. If a product has a defective design, it can pose serious dangers to the user.
Design defects are a serious problem that must be handled appropriately. If a company becomes aware of a design defect, they may issue a recall of the product in order to prevent injury. However, if these defects go unnoticed, or worse, ignored, the product could have devastating effects. The Chicago design defects attorneys at Karlin, Fleisher & Falkenberg, LLC understand the importance of product safety and are ready to fight with you against dangerous design defects.
Proving a Design is Defective
Design defects refer to a type of defect that is inherent in the product and may cause injury even if the product was manufactured and used as intended. In order to prove that the product they purchased has a design defect, they must demonstrate several important factors:
- The product was used for its intended purposes when it caused the injury
- The injury was caused by an inherent flaw in the design of the product
- Show that the risk could have been reduced or avoided by a reasonable alternative design
- The alternative design is feasible and the manufacturer could have produced it
- There is a reasonable cost associated with the alternative design
- The product would still perform its intended function with the design modification
- The product’s risk of danger exceeds what a normal consumer would expect
If the plaintiff is able to demonstrate most or all of these elements of the product, the designer may be held responsible under “strict liability”. This law indicates that, if a design defect is present, the designer is fully liable for the damages it caused, even if they took proper care when designing the product.
Contact a Chicago Design Defects Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured by a design defect, you are likely facing medical bills, rehabilitation expenses, and loss of income from time spent away from work. A Chicago design defects attorney at Karlin, Fleisher & Falkenberg, LLC can help you receive the compensation you need to reduce this burden. You should not have to suffer any further because of their mistake. To discuss the specifics of your case, contact us at 312-346-8620 today.