Chicago Birth Injury Fracture Lawyers
The birth of your child should bring joy and excitement — not fear and worry about your baby’s medical complications. You should be able to trust the doctors and nurses to care for you and your baby. Yet, it is estimated that fractures due to error or negligence on the part of the doctor during birth occur in 7 in 1000 births. Dealing with birth injuries can be heartbreaking and devastating for families.
These types of injuries are not always apparent; however, bone fractures are one of the most common forms of birth injuries. Broken bones and fractures of the skull, collarbone, back, legs, feet, arms, and wrists can occur as a result of misusing instruments or improper delivery procedures. Depending on the severity of the fracture, this could leave a baby with long-lasting health issues.
The skilled Chicago birth injury lawyers of Karlin, Fleisher & Falkenberg, LLC are experienced in assisting the parents of children who have suffered fractures during birth due to the negligence of a doctor or another health care professional. Our firm wants to be sure that responsible parties are held accountable for their actions. With our help, you can recover financial compensation to help pay for your medical expenses and other losses. Contact us today at 312-346-8620 or online for a free, confidential consultation about your case.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
Bringing a successful child injury claim will require proving that your doctor failed to provide the standard of care. In order to prove what the standard of care was and whether your doctor violated it, you will need to speak with experts, interpret complex medical records, and understand the law. Doing this while you are stressed about your newborn can be almost impossible. Instead, hire a lawyer. They can gather the evidence, use their resources, and negotiate with insurance or opposing lawyers on your behalf. With a lawyer’s help, you are likely to receive far more in compensation than you would on your own, and with less stress.
Why Choose Karlin, Fleisher & Falkenberg, LLC?
Karlin, Fleisher & Falkenberg, LLC was established in 1970, and for nearly five decades, we have fought and protected victims of injuries, including birth injuries. When you’re facing medical negligence at this level, you need a law firm to stand up for you. Our Chicago lawyers have the resources and experience necessary to win a medical malpractice lawsuit. Our attorneys will work diligently to get you the compensation and damages you are owed so your child can enjoy a safe and healthy future.
Birth Injury Fracture Cases We Handle
Various scenarios can cause fractures to a baby during birth. Bone fractures often happen when great pressure is exerted upon a child’s skeletal system. The following kinds of fractures are the most common during birth:
- Skull Fractures — It is not uncommon for forceful procedures to be used during the delivery, especially if the forceps and vacuums are misused. Improper use of forceps and other extraction devices put babies at risk of brain damage and other potentially permanent injuries. Skull fractures are extremely rare but can be severe.
- Clavicle Fractures — This type of fracture can happen when a baby is stuck in the birth canal, the baby is forcefully delivered, or the baby is positioned so that the feet or the buttocks — instead of the head — is delivered first (breech birth). The baby’s limbs may be lodged against the mother’s pelvic bone, which may cause the baby’s bones to break. While young children tend to heal quickly, some bone fractures can leave the child with permanent damage.
The most common symptoms associated with bone fractures include:
- The baby cries when touched or moved
- There is little to no movement in some regions of the body
- One shoulder appears to droop down lower than the other
- A lump in the affected area
- Pain and swelling
- Redness and bruising
- Inability to move certain limbs
Most babies that sustain fractures and broken bones experience great distress during labor and delivery. Patients count on doctors and nurses to work under the hospital or clinic’s required medical safety guidelines. Tools should be properly positioned and operated safely and appropriately. Doctors must exercise caution when utilizing certain medical tools during the delivery of a child. Preventable measures include detecting for fetal distress and performing an emergency cesarean section. If medical professionals make serious errors during the labor and delivery process, mothers and babies are at greater risk of serious injury.
Through a child injury claim, you may be able to recover compensation to pay for numerous expenses related to the injury, including:
- Medical expenses, past and future
- Lost wages, if you must take time off of work to care for your injured child
- Pain and suffering, for your child and your family
- Wrongful death benefits, if your child passes away as a result of their injuries
- Punitive damages, if the defendant’s conduct was especially egregious
The exact amount of money you can expect to receive will vary depending on the details of your claim.
Contact Karlin, Fleisher & Falkenberg, LLC Today
If your child has experienced fractures or broken bones due to a health care provider’s negligence during delivery, it is crucial for you to contact a medical malpractice lawyer. Whether the injury was a case of a misused instrument or a C-section delay, our attorneys can help ensure your baby gets the care they deserve. We will make sure that you and your family obtain the compensation and damages needed to cover medical bills associated with the negligence that caused your baby’s injury.
Our birth injury lawyers will not allow you and your child to suffer due to another person’s careless actions and will work hard to fight for your child’s rights and make sure they receive the treatment needed for a full recovery. Contact Karlin, Fleisher & Falkenberg, LLC at 312-346-8620 or reach out to us online to schedule a confidential consultation today.